A good ceiling fan should keep you cool and complement your home décor. You need to look for a ceiling fan that matches the major design elements of your room. It’s best to think about the décor and color scheme of your room before you shop for a ceiling fan.
Ceiling fans come in a wide variety of colors, sizes, shapes, designs and materials. With a little effort, you can find one blends in and adds to the looks of your room. A ceiling fan that doesn’t match the color scheme and décor of your room may look out of place.
Get a ceiling fan of the right size
A ceiling fan of the right size will look good and cool your room effectively. A ceiling fan that’s too big or too small for your room will look odd and it may not have the capacity to keep you cool in the summer. You need to buy a ceiling fan of the right size based on the area of your room and the height of the ceiling.
To determine the area of your room, measure the length and width of the room with a measuring tape. Multiply the length by the width to arrive at the area in square feet. You also need to measure the height of your ceiling.
You can look for a fan size chart on the websites of leading ceiling fan manufacturers and can also seek advice in any store that sells ceiling fans.
Consider the decorating style used in the room
Once you have decided on the size of the fan that you need, look at the décor of your room and the prominent design elements. Think about the type of fan that will complement the décor of your room.
You need to look for a ceiling fan that matches the decorating style of your room. Is the decorating style traditional, contemporary, tropical, rustic, minimalistic or something else? If a mixed decorating style has been used, you may want to pick a ceiling fan that contrasts with the most noticeable style in the room:
• If your room has a vintage or traditional décor, look for a ceiling fan with an antique style.
• A ceiling fan with a contemporary style may be right for a room with a modern or transitional décor.
• If your room has a western, mission or country decor, consider a rustic ceiling fan.
• A tropical ceiling fan may be suitable for a home with a nautical, island or coastal decor.
Pick a ceiling fan of the right color
Look for a ceiling fan with a color that matches the most prominent feature of your room. Check to see if the color of the down rod matches the color of the rest of the fan.
You can consider buying a fan with blades that match the color of your furniture or floor. If your room includes metal hardware, you can look for a ceiling fan with a color and finish that matches it.
A ceiling fan that matches the color and finish of the most prominent feature in your room will blend in and complement the décor.
If you have a small room with a low ceiling, it may be best to go in for a basic model with colors and materials that match the ceiling. A fan with a design that matches the décor of the room may not work because it may make the room look even smaller.
Pick the right light fixture
You may want to buy a fan with a lighting kit if there is insufficient natural light in your room or if there aren’t enough light fixtures. Look for a light fixture that matches the colors and style of your room.
If you are concerned about energy efficiency, consider using LED lights. LED lights are the most energy efficient and they last really long. Fluorescent lights are also quite energy efficient and they last long. Halogen bulbs are suitable for ceiling fans that can be reached easily.
Pick a light that provides warm or cool lighting based on your requirements and preferences. You can view the effects produced by LED, fluorescent and halogen lights and decide on which one is right for your room.
Check out our tower fan reviews.
Consider your budget
Look for a ceiling fan that’s within your budget:
• If you have a small budget, your options may be limited, and you may have to get a basic, low-cost ceiling fan.
• If you have a bigger budget, you can look for a fan that offers superior performance and more functions.
• You can choose from a wide variety of controls, accessories, and styles.
• You can look for a ceiling fan with full-range light dimming and a reverse switch that will allow you to use it in the summer as well as the winter.
• Many of these fans are equipped with DC motors that use 70% less energy.
• Top-of-the-line fans come with integrated LED lighting, handcrafted glass, deluxe textiles, handcrafted blades, and more.
• They are available in a variety of styles, colors, and finishes.
With a little effort, you can find a fan that blends in and adds to your home décor. It may be worthwhile to spend a little more to buy a high-quality model with a warranty that combines great performance, energy efficiency, durability and looks.
You can get a great deal by shopping for ceiling fans online as well as in retail stores. Online promotions and sales can help you to get a high-end fan at a huge discount. You may also be able to get accessories like controls for free.