With summer season starting in many parts of the world people having been searching for best ceiling fans available in the market right now. If you are one of them wanting to equip your home with the perfect solution for hot summer, following ceiling fan reviews will help you nail the best deal.
Top Best Ceiling Fan Reviews
|Top Picks||Our Rating||Diameter||Price||Our reviews|
|Hunter 53091 Builder Deluxe 5-Blade||4.8/5||52"||Read review|
|Hunter Fan Company 52090||4.9/5||34"||Read review|
|Hunter 53237 Builder Plus||4.7/5||52"||Read review|
|Minka-Aire F518-WH 44-inch Concept II Flush Mount||4.6/5||44"||Read review|
|Minka-Aire F843-DK, Wave||4.6/5||52"||Read review|
#1. Hunter 53091 Builder Deluxe 5-Blade Single Light Ceiling Fan with Brazilian Cherry/Stained Oak Blades and Piped Toffee Glass Light Bowl, 52-Inch, New Bronze
Hunter 53091 offers WhisperWhirl motor – an unlike ordinary motor that not only works faster, it also prevents the noise ceiling fans are accustomed to make. Moreover, you can enjoy the same comfort in winter through reverse functionality of the motor that will soak up the cool air from the room. That means, you’ll have a noise free room that will surely add quality to comfort.
Hunter 53091’s dimensions are 1 x 25.2 x 9.1 inches. If you dig deeper into this figure, you will release that its dimensions are designed to fit a room of almost any size. The blades, especially, are long enough to do air movement even in corners.
This model comes with lifetime limited warranty for fan motor, and 1 year limited warranty on parts excluding motor, glass globes, or light bulbs.
#2. Hunter Fan Company 52090 Watson 34-Inch New Bronze Ceiling Fan with Five Cabin Home/Walnut Blades and a Light Kit
If you’re concerned about the height, Hunter Watson 52090 gives you 3 mounting positions; flush mount, angle mount and standard mount. So, it’s literally up to installer’s choice how he hangs it in his room.
Performance wise, Hunter Watson 52090 may not be up there among powerful fans, as it offers an air flow capacity of 3516 CFM, but its WhisperWind motor offers noise free operation round the year. To add to forward/reverse functionality, the ceiling fan comes with limited lifetime warranty for motor, making you fall for it at this price range.
#3. Hunter 53237 Builder Plus 52-Inch Ceiling Fan with Five Brazilian Cherry/Harvest Mahogany Blades and Swirled Marble Glass Light Kit, Brushed Nickel
If you have a large room with low-to-high ceiling, this 52-inch ceiling fan is the perfect choice for you. Hang it according to your will because it offers installer’s choice mounting system; flush mount, standard mount or angled mount. The main and most talked about feature has been its powerful motor.
The motor is backed by exclusive Hunter technology and offers ultra-quite performance throughout the year. The fan will remain wobble-free and you can customize its speed according to your requirement. You can adjust the speed at three different levels; low, medium or high. Moreover, the fan motor offers a limited lifetime warranty so that you can replace or repair it any time.
You must be wondering that the motor generating an airflow capacity of 5049 CFM may need extra energy, but this isn’t true. It operated perfectly at 120 volts and consumes 60 watts. The fan is UL certified and promises to make your room more comfortable and cooler than ever before.
#4. Minka-Aire F518-WH 44-inch Concept II Flush Mount Ceiling Fan
The power full motor can generate a blade sweep of 44-inches with just 40-watt power, excluding the light, and delivers the airflow of 4600 CFM with an efficiency of 115 CFM per watt. The small 153 mm by 15 mm spinner delivers 184 RPMs on high speed and 86 RPMs on low speed.
Another reason why Minka Aire F518-WH 44-inch Concept II Ceiling Fan secures the top position in ceiling fans reviews, is its forward and reverse functions that make useful throughout the year. You can control the ceiling fan speed using AireControl remote system that gives you three-speed control options in either direction.
Small size, 75% less installation time and labor and 10.5-inche hanging depth combined to make F518-WH Concept II Flush Mounting Ceiling Fan, perfect for any room.
#5. Minka-Aire F843-DK, Wave Distressed Koa 52-Inch Ceiling Fan with Remote Control” orientation
It’s not just about design and finish. Minka-Aire F843-DK offers 3 curved blades with an amazing 48-degree pitch. Credit goes to the design feature that makes the fan blades attain such a high pitch as the ceiling fan is able to generate 6585 CFM airflow capacity, even with three blades. Even with such long blades, the overall weight of the fan is 19 pounds, which is one noteworthy factor.
Minka-Aire Wave Distressed Koa F843-DK consumes 66 watts, which is just above normal ceiling fans’ requirements, yet its energy consumption is as low as normal models. The ceiling fan is UL listed and comes with lifetime warranty.
Minka-Aire F843-DK might seem expensive, but when you consider its contemporary design, unmatched painted finish and warranty, the price is something you can compromise on. Plus, you cannot forget the fact that ceiling fans with UL certification last longer than others.
Why You Need Ceiling Fans?
Unless you’re living in extreme climatic regions such as North-pole, you’re going to have to need a ceiling fans almost anywhere in the world. Since, summer heat is a major factor – something that you’d love to avoid, or you don’t want to let go of from your room, ceiling fans can help you either ways. Even if you think of them as an old invention that’s no longer necessary, following lines will tell you how ceiling fans have become so vital, and why you need them.
Advantages of Ceiling Fans
- Ceiling fans are the best source of air circulation – To remove stagnant air or suffocation from the still room, you need a ceiling fan, because it creates an air current and circulates air to all corners of the room. As the air circulates, it gives a feeling of fresh air in your nostrils. Keep in mind that the fan blades should be at least 7-feet above the floor.
- Ceiling fans help save money – While air conditioners can keep the room cooler, they’re quite expensive in terms of energy and maintenance cost. Moreover, the cool breeze generated by ACs is not as easier to move compared to that generated by ceiling fans. Super cooled rooms are not always good for health as well. While ceiling fans not only help circulate air and create lighter atmosphere in the room, they consume far less energy and require minimal maintenance.
- Ceiling fans maintain room temperature – If the air circulates, it can be a little warmer compared to the air coming out of the chiller. But the moving air feels cooler than other air inside the room. The external temperature may climb up and make those air conditioners underperform .
- Ceiling fans complement the theme of your room – Apart from maintaining the room temperature, giving your fresh air to breathe in and saving your expenses, ceiling fans complement your room theme as well. Ceiling fan is one of the essential elements of a classic room.
- Ceiling fans can add extra light to your room – Another value addition of ceiling fans, they’re now equipped with lights. Some ceiling fans may still lack built-in lights but you can retrofit them with light kits.
Ceiling Fan Styles
It’s highly unlikely that all the rooms of your home have similar wall colors and themes. Then, why would all the rooms have ceiling fans with only one style? Manufacturers have taken care of customers’ aesthetic needs and have created a variety of ceiling fan designs.
Above mentioned ceiling fans reviews are based on ubiquitous and popular styles. Following are some of the most popular ceiling fan styles for you, aiding you with design features benefits so that you may choose the best option according to your personal aesthetic requirements.
- Mission Style Ceiling Fans
Metallic and wooden materials are the basic elements of Mission Style Ceiling Fans. These fans consist of a dark metallic motor attached with wooden blades. Although, the name is derived from the Spanish Missions in colonial California settlements, the aesthetics of this style relates to the arts and crafts movement in America. So, if your room and its walls are filled with arts and crafts, why take a chance with an ordinary looking ceiling fan.
- Rustic Style Ceiling Fans
For a room, a log cabin or a place in a lodge where you have a space to display a rustic vibe, your first choice should a Rustic Style Ceiling Fan. As the name indicates, the ceiling fans have inspirational design features that can remind anyone of the flora and fauna of the country side. They’re well designed, but possess a complicated rugged look to comply with the rural room décor. You’d find a lot of variety in terms of design and creativity.
- Kiddy Style Ceiling Fans
Kids’ world is beyond any logical limits, has limitless imagination and offers a huge room for creativity and fantasy. Your kid’s room may have a unique theme and only Kiddy Style Ceiling Fans, not ordinary fans, can integrate it in best possible way. These fans are available in a large variety of design, color and size, to keep up with your child’s imagination. These fans usually have bright and lively colors and are based on sports, cartoon characters or your kid’s favorite toy.
- Transitional Ceiling Fans
If you want to show a mix of contemporary and traditional elements in your house, you’d definitely choose Transitional Ceiling Fans to give finishing touches to your rooms. As the name suggests, they’re sort of hybrid fans connecting the two separate worlds; less geometrical but smoother than contemporary fans, and one step forward from old-fashioned designs. Due to their flexible designs, you can install them in transitional-to-contemporary settings. Built-in light is a prominent feature of this particular style.
How to Choose Best Ceiling Fans?
In mild to hot climatic regions, ceiling fan is considered as a basic necessity, because it helps keep your cooling cost under control. The Ceiling fans can generate enough air to cool down the room temperature up to 4 degrees. Ceiling fans are available in a large variety of designs, shapes and sizes. That’s more than enough to confuse anyone.
So, if you’re looking to replace your ceiling fan, or buy one for your workplace, you need to make sure it perfectly fits your requirements. Here are some tips to choose the best ceiling fans.
1. Energy Star Certification
To minimize the cooling cost, ceiling fans with Energy Star certifications are worth searching for. Energy Star certification is awarded to those ceiling fans that meet energy efficiency requirements stipulated by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency.
2. Choose appropriate size
Size of a ceiling fan matters the most; otherwise, you’ll end up purchasing too small or too large fans. Consider the length of ceiling fan blades which start from 29 inches reaching up to 60 inches.
First of all, you need to measure the dimensions of the room where ceiling fan should be installed. If you room is below or equal to 75 square feet, you can buy a small ceiling fan with 29 – 36 inches blades. If the room dimension falls between 76 sq feet and 144 sq. feet, the length of the blades should fall between 36 inches to 42 inches.
Above mentioned dimensions are for square-shape rooms. For larger, yet narrower rooms, you might need two or more medium sized ceiling fans, instead of one large ceiling fan.
3. Choose appropriate mounting system
Before installing the ceiling fan, make sure it should mounted in the middle of the room, or at least 18 inches away from the wall. Similarly, the face of the fan should be at least 7 feet above the floor in order to avoid any accident. For optimal airflow, a height of 8 to 9 feet is recommended.
Manufacturers recommend 4 different mounting positions. These are mentioned below:
- Standard position: standard mount comes with a metal pipe called “downrod” that’s 3 to 5 inches long. This pipe stretches from the ceiling bracket to the top of the fan to create some space between the fan and your ceiling. Standard mount is suitable for 8 to 9 feet high rooms.
- Extended mount: You can get an extended mount for higher ceilings. Extended mount helps the ceiling fan achieve and maintain maximum airflow inside the room. They’re available in the range of 6 inches to 120 inches and are suitable for 9-20 feet ceilings. Keep in mind that any ceiling fan would deliver the best air flow if it hangs 8 to 9 feet above the ground.
- Sloped mount: for angled or vaulted ceilings, you need a sloped mount ceiling fan. Sloped mount systems are specifically designed to keep the fan-blades hang parallel to the ground.
- Flush mount: for ceilings lower than 8 feet, you’re going to need flush mount system. The fan sits flush against the ceiling and maintains a safe distance of at least 7 feet from the ground. However, flush mounted ceiling fans may not deliver maximum airflow as they’re too close to the ceiling. They’re also known as hugger or low-profile fans.
4. Compare the CFM” orientation
As mentioned before, CFM represents the airflow efficiency of the ceiling fan. Best ceiling fans are the ones that offer the airflow of more than 6,000 CFM (cubic feet per minute). Also consider airflow efficiency labels. Airflow efficiency is the maximum airflow achieved by a ceiling fan at its maximum speed on the given amount of power. The higher the airflow efficiency, the better it is in terms of cooling cost.
5. Decide on the motor grade you need
Ceiling fans are ranked and priced on the basis of motor rating. Ceiling fans with a motor rating of 5+ use DC motors and they’re available in the range of $400 and $1000 in the market. Three kinds of motor grades are offered by the manufacturers:
- Economy grade: the ceiling fan with economy motor grade is less expensive, and is recommended for 8-hour continuous usage on daily basis. Economy grade ceiling fans work best with low ceilings and they may create some wobbling and noise.
- Medium grade: these ceiling fans can run 12 hours a day, have medium grade motor, and may prove to be adequate for your home. However, they have noise issue.
6. Pick your blades
Fan blades are the second best thing and you need to consider following things while choosing the best ceiling fans.
- Number of blades: while traditional ceiling fans have 3 blades, some transitional models consist 5 blades too. It’s obvious that the motor requires less power to rotate a 3-bladed fan compared to 5-bladed fan. On the other hand, 5-bladed fans are quieter and deliver higher airflow.
- Angle of blades: pitch of the blade determines the airflow efficiency. For maximum airflow, consider 12” to 14” pitch.
7. Select Ceiling fans Style
To complement your home theme, you need to choose appropriate ceiling fan style. Four different styles are available in the market, namely:
- Mission style ceiling fans
- Rustic style ceiling fans
- Kiddy style ceiling fans
- Transitional style ceiling fans
All in all, ceiling fans are the basic requirement for any kind of home setting, because they’re capable of maintaining the room temperature. Ceiling fans are helpful in reducing your energy cost, and give you a dual benefit of lowering or raising the room temperature.
In order to choose the best ceiling fans, you need to consider many factors other than price. Energy Star rating, motor grade, number of blades, airflow efficiency and voltage intake are some prominent factors to consider. At the same time, size and mounting are other factors on which you base your buying decision. If you’re looking for value addition, you can choose a fan with built-in light, or buy a light kit separately.
Last but not the least, you have to choose appropriate machine that not only saves your cost but also adds value to the room theme.
Ceiling fans have been the part of our lives. Perhaps this is the reason why we don’t pay too much attention to them. But, they continue to make our lives cooler and more comfortable, very quietly. Imagine how people in the south would survive hot summer days without these whirling wonders.
Anyhow, here are some common questions people have, or should have, in mind while buying ceiling fans for their homes.
Q.1: What’s the suitable ceiling fan size for my room?
Ceiling fans are available in different sizes, and their sizes are based on the room space. For 11ft x 11ft or smaller rooms, you need 36 inch or 42 inch ceiling fans. They can reach up to 60-inch in diameter for large rooms. For smaller places, 30-inch sized ceiling fans are appropriate.
Q.2: What is CFM rating and how is it useful in buying a ceiling fan?
A CFM is an abbreviation of Cubic Feet per Minute and indicates the airflow capacity of a ceiling fan. The higher the rating, the better the fan. For example: a normal sized ceiling fan generates the airflow speed of around 6,500 CFM.
Q.3: Which ceiling fans are considered to be the best?
It depends upon the airflow, quality and energy efficiency of a ceiling fan that make it the best or worst. A ceiling fan gives high performance because of high-quality blades, the blade pitch and size, the degree of separation of blades from each other, the number of blades (3 to 5), the motor that utilizes less watts and delivers high RPM.
Q.4: What are the factors on which I can compare ceiling fans?
Quality, CFM, energy efficiency, MPH and power are the factors that can be used to compare different ceiling fans. On average a ceiling fan is considered as a good option to have on the basis of the following information:
- A quality rating higher than 3
- An airflow of greater than 5,500 CFM
- Energy use on high speed lower than 70 watts
- Efficiency greater than 79 CFM/watt
- A wind speed greater than 2.5 MPH
Q.5: How can I make sure my ceiling fan is rotating in the right direction?
During summer, the fan blades must rotate forward, counter-clockwise for cooling. In winter, they should rotate clockwise. You can flip the switch available on the motor to change direction.
Q.6: My fan makes too much noise, why?
To start with, low quality ceiling fans can cause such issues. Even a good ceiling fan, if installed improperly, can lose balance and makes noise. You can tighten the screws and refit the light kit to see if the problem still exists.
Incoming search terms:
- which is the highest quality ceiling fan give air delivery
- world top ceiling fans
- best ceiling fan with 70 watt in india 2016
- best ceiling fans
- best celling fan brand in mumbai climate